[tin-dev] "tin: memory exhausted trying to allocate 4026531841 bytes in file ./newsrc.c line 1471"

Urs Janßen urs at tin.org
Mon Feb 29 13:43:10 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 04:05:59AM -0800, Ant wrote:
> > looking at
> > <https://www.newshosting.com/grouplist/grouplist.txt>
> > there are a lot of huge groups on thier server - eg. 16449748650 articles
> > (yes, 16 billion) in alt.binaries.boneless or 6307478254 in alt.binaries.cores
> > so you def. want a handpciked newsrc or a system with lots! of ram.
>
> Thanks. How much RAM would that be? I am not doing binaries stuff in
> there? Just wanted to access text groups to read and post. Pan and
> nzbget will handle the binaries.

just for the newsrc-data for alt.binaries.boneless (without ever reading
that group) that would be ~1.9GB, for the full active that would be ~18GB.

If you try to access one of the huge groups the numbers well get much worse
(assuming a NOV entry of about 200 bytes (that is very optimisctic, 400
bytes is more realistic) per article that would be 3TB just for
alt.binaries.boneless ,-)