[tin-dev] "tin: memory exhausted trying to allocate 4026531841 bytes in file ./newsrc.c line 1471"

Urs Janßen urs at tin.org
Mon Feb 29 14:57:54 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 04:44:48AM -0800, Ant wrote:
> > > Thanks. How much RAM would that be? I am not doing binaries stuff in
> > > there? Just wanted to access text groups to read and post. Pan and
> > > nzbget will handle the binaries.
> > just for the newsrc-data for alt.binaries.boneless (without ever reading
> > that group) that would be ~1.9GB, for the full active that would be ~18GB.
> Woah! That's nuts. :( Are you planning to fix this in Tin in the future?

Even if one would change in data-structure which holds the newsrc (which
articles are read/unread per group) into something less memory consuming
(no longer a bitmap with 1 bit per article) or delay the bitmap setup
till the group is actually read that won't address the problem
with the ovewrview data (which is ~200-400 bytes per article in the group
instead of 1 bit per article as within the newsrc).

I have no plans to do something about that, but as the source is freely
available... so if soemone delays the bitmap stuff till the group is read
or turns the bitmap into a tree structure and stores the overview data
compress in memory or the like I happy to accept such paches...

urs
--
"Only whimps use tape backup: _real_ men just upload their important stuff
 on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it ;)" - Linus