[tin-users] Only one post per group

Urs Janßen urs at tin.org
Fri Jul 8 00:42:26 CEST 2016

In <mailman.15.1467928810.23364.tin-users at tin.org>,
    Anton Shepelev wrote:
> Hello, all
>
> When used with the JamNNTPd server, a freshly start-
> ed tin always  displays  at  most  one  message  per
> group.  The 'y' command inside a group does not help
> and only the 'z' command reveals all  the  messages.
> The situation repeats after restart.
>
> Other newsreaders -- Sylpheed, slrn, Xnews -- do not
> exhibit this problem.

looking at the NNTP dialog (tin -D 1) I see stuff like[1]:
>>> [22:15:07.361864] LIST
<<< [22:15:07.410049] 215 List of newsgroups follows
<<< [22:15:07.458690] test 1 20 n
[...]
<<< [22:15:07.507522] bar 2 2 n

"newsgroup lowmark highmark flag"
but according to RFC 3977 7.6.1./7.6.3.
(and its ancestors RFC 977) the response shall be
"newsgroup highmark lowmark flag"
(highmark lowmark swapped).

-> JamNNTPd doesn't do NNTP. Not tins fault.

Other readers either don't use LIST [ACTIVE|COUNTS] to get the
article numbers (just GROUP/LISTGROUP) or detect swapped fields
in the LIST response (I don't think so).

If you have a well prepared newsrc at hand for that broken server
"tin -n" may do the trick for you (but -n will never look for new
groups, so you need a newsrc with all the groups you like to read
already present).

urs