[tin-users] Help for filtering regex

Joe joe.on.list at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 14:21:17 CEST 2017

Hi all,
I'm trying to create a filter rule based on a REGEX applied to the From field,
let me explain with an example. Let's consider the following users:

John Samuelson
John Larryson
John Smithson
John Somethingotherson

John Samuelson is a regular person and I don't want to filter it, but
often there
are other "morphing users" that have fun spamming with a similar name as shown
above. I want to filter just them. So, my filter has to match just:

John Larryson
John Smithson
John Somethingotherson

Now, the first question is: what REGEX types does tin supports?
POSIX?
Perl compatible?
or what else?

I'm testing some regex with "grep" and the following command seems to work fine:

grep -P 'John\s\b(?!Samuelson).*son\b' input-names.txt

It matches just the morphing users, bu the problem is that the above "-P" option
in grep command activates the Perl compatible regex and I don't know if that is
supported also by tin filter.

Thank you a lot in advance!