[tin-users] Converting ansi escape to graphics

Nigel Reed nigel at nigelreed.net
Thu Apr 16 23:11:34 CEST 2020

Hi all,

This is probably a dev question but I'll ask here anyway in case one is watching.

I use tin to view messages on the bulletin board (BBS) via a usenet interface.

A lot of groups have ANSI art or colors using ANSI and wondered if anyone would be able to add translation from ANSI to the graphic or color.

For example, if you connect to endofthelinebbs.com and go to DN.DN-ADDS then look at any message with ANSI in the subject, for example [ANSI] Shadowscope

You'll see a string of ANSI characters. These are escape codes, of course.

^[[0m = All attributes off
^[[1;1H = Move the cursor to the specified position (This would be relative to the headers)
^[[1C = Move the cursor forward specified number of columns without changing the line
^[[35m = Change the foreground color to magenta.
Followed by whatever graphics are to be displayed.

I could "possibly" do the work myself, but I'm not a C coder, I'm more of a perl tinkerer. If someone showed me what I need to do and where then I can probably do the work. If someone wants to have a crack, a good ANSI reference is at http://ascii-table.com/ansi-escape-sequences.php

Thanks,
Nigel