[tin-users] Separate News Servers for Reading and Posting

Urs Janßen urs at tin.org
Mon Jan 22 20:43:31 CET 2024

On Mon, Jan 22, 2024 at 12:17:09PM -0700, john red-horse wrote:
> signed up for a NNTP news server, and, after the fact, I learned that
> it uses separate server IP addresses for reading and posting. Is it
> possible to handle this situation with tin?
>
> Many thanks for keeping this newsreader alive, and for any help you
> may provide!

Thre is no option in tin to use a different ips for posting/reading
or the like, but you could put two enries into ~/.tin/newsrctable like

# NNTP-server -> newrc translation table and NNTP-server
read.example.com	~/.tin/${NNTPSERVER-localhost}/newsrc-read	read
post.example.com	~/.tin/${NNTPSERVER-localhost}/newsrc-post	post
# default, no nick
*	~/.tin/${NNTPSERVER-localhost}/newsrc

when you are on the rading server (tin -g read) and do compose a post
instead of sending it postpone it via 'o' (PostPostpone) and once you
finished reading/composing articles start the post session via
"tin -g post" and fecth the articles individually via '^O' (Postponed)
to post then or post them in one go via "tin -o -g post".